Vehicle InfoVehicle Info

Diplomatic Vehicles

How to apply for registration of diplomatic vehicles?

RC Status
Diplomatic Vehicles

A diplomatic officer or consular officer, as recognized by the Central Government, shall have special provision for registration of motor vehicles where the registering authority shall register the vehicle in such manner and shall assign to the vehicle for display thereon a special registration mark in accordance with the provisions contained in those rules and shall issue a certificate of registration that the vehicle has been registered under this section; and any vehicle so registered under this section. If any vehicle registered under this section ceases to be the property of any diplomatic officer or consular officer, the certificate of registration issued under this section shall also cease to be effective.


  • Every application for registration of a motor vehicle under on behalf of any diplomatic officer or consular officer shall be made in triplicate by the head of the mission or consular officer in Form 42 and be addressed to the registering authority through the Competent Authority.
  • Pay appropriate fee and tax as specified in rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989.

Documents required

  • Application in Form No. 42.
  • Road worthiness certificate in Form No. 22 from the manufacturers (Form No. 22A from the Body builder).
  • Proof of address.
  • Valid insurance certificate.
  • Pollution under control certificate.
  • Design approval copy of STA in case Trailer or Semi-Trailer.
  • Original sales certificate from the concerned authorities in Form No. 21 in the case of ex-army vehicle.
  • Custom's clearance certificate along with licence, and bond in case of imported vehicle.
  • Temporary registration, if any.